Friday, September 12, 2008

Times are changing

I'll have to get a picture up of Grant.
Grant holds the distinction of being the first student here. He started 10 years ago.

Grant's 60 (70) something? He lives down the road and comes out for lessons when he can. He had some medical issues that got in the way for a while, but that's all cleared up now. One of the hurdles Grant's been facing is that he tires out pretty easily. Now just flying around, this isn't really a problem. But when learning to fly, it can be. The last thing we work on is landings. Well to land you obviously have to take off. Which means you have to tow up... well that's where the real workout is. The tow up is the hardest part physically.

So learning to land has been hard since we just can't get a lot of repetition in. Add to that you need near perfect weather. Fortunately Grant's very patient and persistent. He just wants to fly. Man he wants to fly.

Well this year we've got what's called a "scooter tow". It's a ground based winch that I can use to pull a student into the air... to practice... you guessed it... landings :)

We took our original tandem glider and configured it especially for Grant. Yesterday tweaked it so that I could scooter tow Grant. It already had really big -BIG- wheels and a harness that would fit him. He chuckled when I showed it all to him... it was the glider he did his first tandem flight in! It was even the same harness. He liked the idea. He said he was really keen to scooter tow back when he first saw it... thought "hey now, that'll work".

With scooter towing, you fly alone. Grant's never flown solo... always tandem. You're only 5 feet off the ground on the first one and the thing maxes out at a couple hundred (90% of the time, I pull people under 20 feet up)... but YOU'RE flying.

So we drug it all out and had at it.
I take people for their first flight all the time. They're always happy when we land "wow, that was cool!"... but I gotta tell ya... I don't know that I've seen the kind of happy I saw in Grant's face after his first scooter tow. "Jimmy, I've been looking for that for 10 years".

Jim

3 comments:

pat rooney said...

so, there's still flight time for me? LOL

Sharon said...

That is so cool to be able to do that for someone.

Skullgal said...

A lovely story. What a great gift - for you to give and Grant to receive. Happy flying!