Friday, September 05, 2008

Drums


To say I'm obsessed would be a gross understatement.

"Rock Band" is a game that competes with "Guitar Hero".
(If you haven't heard of Guitar Hero, you live under a rock.)
Well, Rock Band adds singing, bass guitar, and my favorite... drums :)

For those of you unfamiliar, I used to have a drum kit. I was never much good, but I took lessons for a while and did a good job of pissing off my neighbors. See in the military, I lived off base with one of the guys I worked with. Well, he just happened to play bass guitar... we had an attic and one day the neighbors below us moved out. So...
Every Friday night, some other guys from work that happened to play guitar would show up and noise would ensue. Eventually the cops would show up too, then it was show over for the night. I think we eventually settled on an 11pm curfew. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

Eventually I left the military and things fizzled. Rounding up people to play with and finding a place to not piss off the neighbors is a bit of a task. Lugging around a drum kit doesn't mesh well with a vagabond lifestyle either. So the drums faded away.

Then along comes Guitar Hero.
Close, but no cigar. It looked pretty fun, but I couldn't care about guitar. The potential was there though and rumor was afoot that a full band version was coming.

It showed up in the form of a game called Rock Band :)

Rock Band was an instant party hit. I mean people flocked over to the house on Friday nights for the sole purpose of rocking out. It's a riot. Even the singing is done well.

What captivated me was the drum "practice mode". It had far more depth than I expected. When I saw how well practice mode worked, I bought a WII the same day for the sole purpose of playing Rock Band.

The next part came very unexpectedly. I'd set my kit up in the "pilot lounge" at the airport so I wouldn't have to go home just to play. There's a local pilot we call "Bunkhouse Bob". He's a super nice guy. He comes down and usually camps for a week at a time. At night, he can be found picking away at his guitar sipping some wine. We've talked from time to time about him bringing out his electric drum kit sometime so we can jam. But that's a bit of a pain and just never happened.

Well, Bob sees the Rock Band kit (and that I'm completely obsessed) and that sparks up the "hey let's jam" bug again. Well, instead of lugging out his drum kit for a weekend, he gives me one of his old sets!

It needs a few key parts, but Ebay fixes that straight away. Ha, I think Bob was a bit surprised that I ordered the parts (kinda pricey ones) as soon as he told me I could have the kit. Hell yeah buddy!

Bob's not been back just yet, but I very much look forward to jamming with him.

...but it doesn't end there...

See, the Rock Band kit is a plastic toy game drum kit, which is fine for what it's supposed to be.

Parts fail and there's lots of info out there about how to fix them... including the part numbers of the electrical components ;)

Well hell, a quick trip to Radio Shack and I've got a second set of drum sensors. I've got wiring diagrams off the net. We've got every tool you can imagine here and loads of space to build things... so yeah, I started tearing into the kit. At first I just figured I'd add some cymbals (it has none). As I got used to how it all works, I decided that I could probably wire the Rock Band kit into my real kit. It took some time and effort, but... hahahahahah... yup.

The Rock Band kit is fun and it works, but playing a real kit is over the top happy!





So now I can play either real drums or Rock Band drums... or both at the same time :)
My drumming's gotten loads better too.
Good times.
Jim

1 comment:

pat rooney said...

go, man, go! LOL