Monday, September 10, 2012

Found it!

My trusty old netbook is dying.
It's a sad time. This little battleaxe has gotten me through a number of years. Last year the hard drive died and I ran it off an SD card for six months before replacing it. But it's really showing it's age now. The replaced hard drive will eventually die (it's showing the very early signs of this already). The wifi loses signal unless the screen is tilted right. The antenna I think is in the lid and the wire that connects it would be routed through the hing and is starting to give up. All this I could live with, but I'm keen to process some HD video these days. Not only because HD has taken hold, but even the low rez output of my cameras are encoded in HD format... and it's the format, not the resolution per se, that the laptop can't handle.

So I was chatting with my friend and explaining how what I actually want might not exist.
What I want is this netbook, but with the guts to do HD editing.

I know what you're thinking, and you're right. Everyone "knows" that netbooks just aren't up to the task... right? For the most part, yes.

Not only that, I wanted a small computer. I love my little 10inch netbook. Hell, I'd LOVE a 7inch one again... well, without the bezzel.

See, they make HD capable "Netbooks" these days... but all they really are is laptops without a CD Rom. Below 11.6inch (mostly 12 for that matter), they can't display HD content (correctly). The screen resolution just isn't up to it. (Literally, it's the vertical pixel density that limits things)

So all the "HD" Netbooks are 12inch screens... no joy.

I searched in vein for something that fit the bill. I found one, but they don't sell it in the States and it's a bit bulky.

Then... I found it.

Now, Asus LOVES to make a million different versions of every model they put out. It can make it a bit tricky to find what you're looking for. That's how I missed this thing...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/12/asus-eee-pc-1015pn-review/

10inch screen.
HD capable (Nvidia Ion2)
Same size, shape, etc as my current netbook.
Even has HDMI out.

And... because it's not the "latest greatest" HD powerhouse netbook... you can find them for $200.

Happy Times.
Jim

No comments: