Sunday, August 22, 2010

Breakfast

I'm six weeks post op as of today :)
(can I get a "hell yeah!"?)

Feeling good, but I also know this is where you can screw up too. You feel good and forget that you're broken... maybe go out and do something stupid, maybe push a little too hard, or maybe just forget to protect your knee. Gotta keep that all in mind. But feeling good.

I can get around almost without issue. Even walking down stairs is starting to come right. Down is the hard one for those that don't know.

So.
Breakfast right?
This is a happy one for me. See, I've been curious about "eating right" for a while now. What exactly "right" means is not as straight forward as it sounds. There's a LOT of information to sort through. But thanks to a friend (hi Bill), I got on what seemed to be the right path.

Well, I'm six weeks in now, so I think I can "look back" enough to see some stuff.
One of the big ones is Breakfast.
We all know the old tome "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day".
That's never said a hell of a lot to me.
There's been times where I'd have a bowl of cereal every morning and sure, I maybe wouldn't eat lunch as soon or something. Big deal right? It all sounded like "an apple a day!" to me.

Ok, missing bits there... "A good" Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
One of the first bits I noticed when I started this was once you get onto truly good food, not just off the "junk food", everything else starts to taste like fluff.

The next bit though is that breakfast starts taking it's true role.
I eat a really good breakfast now. And if I miss it, I know I've missed it! It makes a big difference.

Eggs over whole wheat toast, rolled oats, a banana and orange juice.
All the real deal... not "orange juice like" drink, not wheat bread... WHOLE wheat bread. Not fu-fu cereal, rolled oats... you can get this wicked rolled oats and rasin mix cereal here... I'm a complete addict!

It tastes good and feels like lead :)

It's weird, though not "shocking", that once you know what to look for, you can see just how much bad food there is out there... and how hard it is to actually eat good food! It can be done of course, but man, if you don't know what to look for... good luck!

No comments: